Monday, November 19, 2012

Rest In Peace, Viggo

 



     It's the news that no animal parent ever wants to have to give.   There is nothing more painful and heart-wrenching in this world than losing someone you love - someone who means so much to you and fills your life with such joy and happiness.  Every animal is an individual that can never be replaced, with their own quirks, antics, and unique traits that just make them who they are.   And Viggo was no exception.


Viggo came into my life nearly a year ago when I adopted him from a shelter.  His previous owners had been evicted from their home and they left him behind with no one to care for him.  Viggo was very ill and depressed when he was brought to the rescue.  Fortunately he was well cared for and brought back to health with much TLC and proper nutrition.  It broke my heart to hear that someone could treat a beautiful animal with such disrespect and neglect.  All I wanted for Viggo was to give him the kind of life that he deserved and should have been given.

     Viggo settled in very well and was a true member of the family.   Nana adored him and would never leave him out of her sight.   Kaiser was the one who especially took to the new addition; the two would chase each other around the house for hours before Viggo would get pooped and "crash" in Kaiser's bed.   I loved Viggo's love and enthusiasm for life, and the way he never seemed to have a bad day.   He was always up for something new, whether it was a car ride, exploring the pet store (he was always a favorite there, and loved doing tricks for the costumers), digging in the garden, or going for his daily walk down the road.
 

     Viggo had it in his mind that all of Nana's toys belonged to him.  Every time I would go to the living room for Nana's playtime, her toys were always mysteriously missing.   Luckily I knew where Viggo's favourite "stash spot" was under the couch, and it became a daily routine for me to fish out all of Nana's toys from under there.   Viggo's favourite toy of hers was her long, plush, squeaky hot dog that she got for her fifth birthday; it was that particular toy that was always the first to disappear.

Viggo had the most mellow, gentle temperament I have ever seen in a ferret.   He was so calm when I held him in my arms, or when he met strangers.  He was such a wonderful ambassador for his often misunderstood species and thrived on the attention of new people, never being too busy or tired to show off his tricks.   As I cuddled him in my arms, Viggo would sometimes fall right asleep.   I couldn't imagine life without my little buddy.

     A few months ago, I began to notice the hair on Viggo's tail thinning out.   My first thought was that he had rat tail, which is common among ferrets, and that the hair would grow back when his winter coat came in in the fall.   I kept a close eye on it during the autumn months without seeing any sign of the hair wanting to grow back.  I was immediately alarmed and made it a daily routine to examine Viggo for any signs of hair loss on other parts of his body, which would be a symptom of adrenal gland disease.  Sure enough last week, I noticed early signs of his hair thinning out on his rump.   I called Viggo's vet and booked an appointment for him as early as possible.

     A few days later, Viggo took a turn for the worse.   He began vomiting and then quit eating and drinking altogether.  I gave him water through a syringe to prevent him from getting dehydrated and offered him some chicken to eat, but he showed no interest in it.   He became completely out of character and wanted nothing to do with Nana and Kaiser's invitations to play.   He soon began to stumble as he walked and, though I tried to get him to drink, he became very dehydrated and weak.  The speed at which he was going downhill was staggering.  I called Viggo's vet right away and paid extra for an emergency visit.   I was extremely concerned about him and it hurt me deeply to see him suffer.

     At the time I got him to the vet Viggo was completely limp, appearing to have lost all will to live.   It shattered my heart looking into his pitiful eyes; I could feel his pain and I hated nothing more than seeing my pal suffering.   After examining Viggo and doing X-rays (which suggested he had a very aggressive case of lymphoma in addition to adrenal gland disease), Viggo's vet was frank saying she didn't think he would be strong enough to pull through any surgeries if they were to perform.  I love Viggo more than anything, and all I wanted was to do what was best for him.  I made the most difficult decision of my life.  Any other animal parent who has had to make the same decision would understand just how hard it is.   I held Viggo in my arms for the last time as she gave him the needle, and watched as he took his final breath.   Viggo's suffering had ended; I knew he was in a better place.

     Viggo meant the world to me, and the love that I have for him is immeasurable.  You never stop loving your animals even after they pass, and I will always love my pal no matter what life brings my way.   Viggo will always be in my heart.   I know how difficult it will be adjusting to life without him here with me.   Whenever Nana's toys go missing, I will be expecting a little masked bandit to have hidden it somewhere.  I will look in that red octopus and see a black, furry tail coming out of it - another look, and it's gone.  I will forever be hearing the sound of him galloping on the floor, even though there is not a sound to be heard in the house.  It feels like a part of me has been torn right out from me.  And in a sense, it has.

I will never forget my buddy, and there will never be another like him.

Rest in Peace, my little V.


27 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. I had a cat that we had to put down and that was very hard. She wasn't even trained or really that cool compared to Viggo. I can't even imagine what it is like to not have him in your life anymore. So sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry. :( He was an adorable little fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! :( Viggo was such a smart and sweet ferret. Rest In Peace, Viggo. I know he had such a special place in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really sorry! Viggo was so smart; it even breaks my heart to hear about his passing. I could tell that you loved him very much. :) Rest in peace, Viggo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you had to put down such a sweet and smart ferret like Viggo.:( He seemed to have had a very special place in your heart, and even though no one will miss him as much as you do, he'll never be forgotten.:)
    Rest in Peace, Viggo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your loss. I just met Viggo tonight and then read that he had passed. He was so blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your loss. I felt emotions similar to this when at 22 I lost my pet duck (well more like a family member to me) who I had for 18 years. I felt like I lost a peace of my heart. In memory my partner had a beautiful sketch done by an artist and now everytime I see it I smile because of the good times we had. I hope that you find that little something that will bring you the happy memories and a smile to your face. Only watching the videos of Viggo made me understand that he was such an amazing animal and your words of his passing brought tears to my eyes. You are a person with a beautiful heart and the love you have for your animal babies is so clear. Rest in Peace, Viggo.
    Love to you, Nanna, Kai, Paris and all who loved him from a fellow animal parent who wouldn't be without my animal babies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just browsing today on YouTube when I came across Nana! She's so beautiful/talented! Then I watched the video of Nana's 5th birthday and saw you had many other pets! They are so adorable [and well trained by the look of it]! Viggo sounded like such a sweet sweet animal. And you are a very caring parent. (I cried in the last paragraph) I know how it feels. To hold them while they take their final breath... I had to go through that 2 times with 2 parakeets and it does take a piece out of you.
    Wishing you fine holidays and I hope you, Nana, Paris, Kai, & your parakeet have a wonderful New Year!
    May V never be forgotten and he will always be in our hearts.
    <3, K

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read about Nana on youtube a few days ago. I came to your website and read everything. I saw Viggo and Paris and Kaiser in "Nana`s 5th birthday". They looked so adorable. I`m so sorry for your loss, especially near the holidays. And you dedicated your life to training the animals. My 8 year old dog will most likely pass on soon. In class (5th grade) I brought my dog and I pictured me crying saying he died. I know what it feels like to loose a special pet, I`m so sorry. :,(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I`m so sorry for you loosing Viggo. I read about them all on youtube a few days ago. My dog will pass soon, cause he`s eight. I understand what it feels like. :,(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im so sorry for your loss! I went through a similar heart-breaking experience with my golden retreiver 2 years ago (he also had lymphoma).. Viggo sounds like a great friend with an incredible personality and character!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omigosh! I feel so bad... you must've had wonderful cherishing memories together. Last summer, I lost my 15 year old sharpie :(
    I've never experienced a loss until that summer so it was really depressing and emotional for me... I bet we all have to understand what it's like at some point in our lives. So sorry 4 ur loss :( He Looked like a wonderful pet and a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for your lost. It brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet Viggo was lucky to have a good caring Pet Parent near the end of his days. You can take comfort in knowing you were a Blessing to him, and that he appreciated your love and the care you gave him. Losing a beloved pet is the toughest thing we do as Pet Parents, because they are truly our 'children' - especially if, like myself, you haven't any 'human' children.
    Know he is in a better place and will be waiting to meet you at the Rainbow Bridge. Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going is knowing I'll see my little ones there eventually. So many of them have already gone, and I miss them all every day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Viggo sounds like a really good ferret. Sorry for your lost.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Viggo was the luckiest animal in the world to have had you in his sweet, beautiful life. And you were the luckiest person to have him in your life. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Viggo will always be alive in your heart. The memories of all the good moments you all had shared, these are endless. I once had a Siamese Cat, 7 years old, that was like a son to me, and he was hit by a car in front of my house. There is not one day that I don't remember him. Maybe one day we'll see our beloved fallen ones again, but until then, we live on, in happyness, for them !

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry..I know the feeling and how unless you have owned and loved a pet...a person can truly understand the difficulty a pet owner Has. .when faced with the way of life. ... with a pet....

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry for your loss. They always leave an empty place in the heart but it's their spot so it's bitter and sweet because it there where we remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry about Viggo. He sounded like as if he was one of the most mellow ferrets I've ever heard of. After being neglected before you took him home, Nana, Kaiser, and you seemed to have brought him back to his normal self. There will never be another ferret like Viggo, but even though he is in a better place, I believe you did give him the life he truly deserved in the months you had him. Viggo sounds as if he had a great zest for life, and lived each day to the fullest with a smile. :) Rest in peace, Viggo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry about your loss! Any animal would be lucky to have a home as great as yours! I know he and Sebastian had a great life with you. I love people like you, who put their pets before themselves. I am the same way, and I can feel your pain. Last August, I found my rabbit, Honey, dead in her cage. I checked her that morning and when I went back out that afternoon she was dead. I have no clue why she died, but the vet thinks it was probably old age. She was almost six, and I had had her for all six years. Any animal lover knows how you feel, you aren't alone! Yet, these partings are so sad. I wish you the best with your training and never give up! You are my idol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I avoided reading this because I knew I was going to bawl my eyes out if I did. But out of respect, I just had to read it. And just like I expected, I'm bawling my eyes out. God bless Viggo, and may he be resting in a better place, looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. True love never dies.RIP Viggo,I hope he remembers you and remembers all fun days.I am sorry for his loss and may he be remember.Heaven is where Viggo belongs today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My heart and my thoughts are with you.
    Rest easy little man.

    ReplyDelete